Monday, June 22, 2009

Okay...

Okay well, I've sorta shoulda done another post by now...but haven't. The reasons for that being a) I haven't been near a computer and b) when I have, my mind has blanked on everything on what to write/do/say/think etc. However, since one Mr Andrew R Koehler wants updates and to know that I'm doing perfectly okay in thwe land of the free, I'm just going to wing it and write anything relevant that pops into my head.

First of all, and Geek Alert, but if you want more comprehensive, regular and sometimes wacky updates from yours truly, get a twitter account and follow the username nathankoehler. send me a message if you want by writing @nathankoehler and then what you want to tell me, and I'll reply and add things in. I get it on my phone and its completely free, so I'm using it a lot.

Now on with the show....

WHY AMERICAN AIRPORTS ARE WEIRDER THAN TWILIGHT FANGIRLS

So, flying around america the last 2 weeks, I've been in a few airports, and what I've observed has left me scratchuing my head a bit. I mean, on the positive side they have shuttle busses that practically run 24 hours to and from the airport that you can book online. On the negative side though, its apparent that whenever I enter an airport I'm no longer in Australia. Heres why:

For a start, I have to pay for any and all baggage that I check in. Thats right, an bag that I don't take with me as hand luggage I have to pay 15 dollars for. Its no matter of whether its overweight or not, I have to pay the 15 dollar fee for it, and probably more if its anything more heavy than what I got.

Secoindly, you are alllowed nowehere near the gate if you don't have a plane ticket. They actually employ at least two people per terminal to make sure that if you don't have a t icket you cannot enter the departure lounge. It doesn't matter if you're saying goodbye to a loved one or not; you either do it in the lobby or beforte the check in or you do not do at all. Crazy stuff.

The funniest would have to be, though, the extreme measures that they go too with security. I mean not just the checking tickets to even get into the departure lounge, but then straight after checking identification to make sure the name on the pass is the same as the one on your ID. and I'm talking straight after. No sooner are you waved through as having a ticket, take 5 steps and then BOOM 'passport please sir, cause I know for a fact you're not from arizona'.

Haha wow...so after showing that, I'm then subject to the regular security checks, which I don't mind. hell, I think they're more than neccessary. But in America, you are required by law to take any belt, jacket and even your shoes off (and yes, you MUST take all of these off before you head through the metal detector cage thing of doom). After which, I mean sure, you can put them all back on, but its just weird having to go through all three checks one after the other to the extremes that the americans take them too.

New York, and why its the one place in the world I would never live in

New York is crazy.


There, I said it.


I'm serious though, its so huge and daunting that it makes me claustrophobi walking down the street. For anyone that can understand the comparison, think the size of Sydney, now double it (and how much it costs to get anywhere) and then add in the fact that you never know which way and which stations your train is ever headed and you'd be on the right track.

Place scares me. I could do a lot more there, but I don't know if I will




anyway I'm in seattle now, and I'm chilling. I'll be home in a week, and I cannot wait to be back in the lucky country and see you all.

hoo roo

~nate

3 comments:

  1. hello brother,

    well you never said why the twilight fangirls were sooo bad!! i am sure they are everywhere around!! LOL!!! did you know that new moon comes out in 149 days!!!!!!!

    and thanks for saying i am weird i apreciate it NOT!!!

    and just soo you know we saw on your twitter that you were upset about the swans losing, well just remember that they are going to win this saturday and i'll be there!!

    miss you andi miss having someone to annoy and drive me places anyway pleased to hear everything is good and have you noticed i havent been bugging you about my present anymore cause i know ive got one

    luv you and miss you from your darling gorgeous lovely loving cute adorable awesome the best sister ever RachaeLl xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate, I hear that airports in Israel are even crazier than in the states with all the interviews security agents give to passengers. Hope you are enjoying Seattle. Oh, and thanks for the Vegemite. Hubby had some on his toast for breakfast the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog! :D I can't believe I don't follow you! What's the deal, daddy-o?

    ReplyDelete